Precepts of the Church
The following are the specific duties expected of Catholics
today. The first six are traditionally known as Precepts of the
- To keep holy the day of the Lord's Resurrection: to
worship God by participating in Mass every Sunday and
Holy Day of Obligation.
- To lead a sacramental life; to receive Holy Communion
frequently and the Sacrament of Penance regularly -
minimally, to confess our sins at least once a year.
- To receive Holy Communion at least once a year between
the First Sunday of Lent and Trinity Sunday.
- To observe the marriage laws of the Church.
- To strengthen and support the Church.
- To do penance, including abstaining from meat and fasting
from food on the appointed days.
- To study Catholic teaching in preparation for the
Sacrament of Confirmation, to be confirmed and continue
to advance the cause of Christ.
- To join in the missionary spirit and apostolate of the
Act of Contrition
- O my God,
- I am heartily sorry
- for having offended You,
- and I detest all my sins
- because I dread the loss of heaven
- and all the pains of hell,
- but most of all
- because they offend You, my God,
- who are good and deserving of all my love.
- I firmly resolve,
- with the help of Your grace,
- to confess my sins,
- to do penance
- and to amend my life. Amen.